Thursday, August 21, 2008

Interesting article this morning here on funerals, embalming and the like. I have told Mrs. Curley that I would like to be waked at home, unenbalmed (dry ice works very well), and then buried here (lowered into the ground and covered by my sons) on the property where everyone will have a daily reminder to pray for my poor soul.

The home wake is especially important. In former days, friends and/or family members would stay up all night praying for the deceased. This practice has ceased in America with the advent of funeral homes. No doubt the Protestant culture that is America contributes to the overall neglect even among Catholics of praying for the dead.

Oremus pro invicem!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jim...may I have my shell shipped down there when the time comes to be buried besides the pigs as penance for the sins of my youth?

Steve