Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A couple weeks ago I mentioned I was getting most of my pig feed from Price's Country Store in Gilbert, SC. He mixes his own feed, which is good for pigs and/or laying hens. In fact Jake Price tells me he sells as much or more for chickens as he does for hogs.

In the past we have bought laying pellets for the chickens, but Jake's feed is ground, not pellets. I bought a bag for the chickens and a couple for the pigs. I keep it in separate bins just to keep track. Usually 50 lbs. of laying pellets lasts 2-3 weeks and sometimes more cause we often mix it with scratch. Well, this first bag lasted one week with the chickens. I was aghast. I asked my sons why they were feeding the chickens so much more. They claimed they weren't, one bucket a day. Well that's the thing. One bucket of ground feed is a whole lot more than one bucket of pellets.

My boys will get to sell the eggs once we are at full production (We should get about 2 dozen a day, right now we are at about 1 dozen a day.) They get to keep the profits minus the feed cost and minus a few dozen for us. 50 lbs a week would doom their profits.

From Bethany, the small holding in Bethune.... Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: