Friday, February 01, 2008

Things you never notice

Just this week I have started to have trouble reading. You never realize that when reading that you tend to hold the book a certain distance from your eyes so you can focus properly. When your eyes change, this distance changes and it takes a while to get used to. Usually this change would gradual and so you hardly notice-at least for a while. However, my focus postion changed very suddenly this week, and it has confounded my reading for a few minutes when I initially pick up a book. (It may be age, it may be adjusting to new medication, etc.-At least I can read!)

I am very sorry I started checking in with NRO, especially The Corner. I can feel the old tug towards political junkyism. I want to be "engaged" and in the "know". But it takes time I just don't have. I don't think it makes me a better voter (or person), just a more cynical one (as if I wasn't cynical enough already.) In any case, my part of the voting is done until November and I can keep up-to-date minimally by checking the news on primary days.

I see my neighbor is starting to get his fields ready. This means I should be getting ready to plow up my own winter crop and get ready to plant the spring crop. I notice the brocolli being sold at the local feed and seed store are about the size that my brocolli (which I planted in the fall) is now. Maybe I will just leave them there and see if they grow as it warms. First planting will be spinach and cabbage. The squashes go in later in the spring.

My rooster is crowing away, but no eggs yet. They are overdue, but the cold weather we've had is probably retarding the first production.

That's it for now. From the small holding in Bethune .... Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: