Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year!


I have less than 100 pages left of Great Expectations. (The rip seen in the jacket cover is a little deeper now.) I can still recommend it and have learned some new things from it. And being a parent now brings even a new perspective to the reading of GE.

Early in the book when Pip is still a boy and first meets the beautiful Estella his life is changed forever. Her beauty, combined with her contempt for his lowliness (destined to become a blacksmith) forever changes his life-making him dissatisfied forever with what he was content with before. Pip recognizes this change-but seemingly can't do anything about it-even if makes him miserable.

Everyone has moments or events that change their lives for better or worse. Sometimes we can point to the moment like Pip could. Sometimes we can't. My reading (and subsequent re-reading) of Great Expectations was such a live-changing experience for me-and as I recall, it was intimately tied in with my Confirmation.

Oh well, I am enjoying the last bit, and then will move onto a few other books waiting in the wings.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: