Saturday, January 05, 2008

End of week roundup


TS mentions the light (lite) luminousity of 60 Watt bulbs. My ceilings are very low in my office and if I take my shirt or sweater off underneath them I often hit them, and they blow. This happened two days ago. I didn't have any more 60W around, but did find two 11 watt bulbs (who knows where these came from). I put them in and there is enough light to navigate the room by-but not much more.

****************************

The The Social Engineer on 30 December, writes about M. Stanton Evans's book Blacklisted by History . (If I had known about this book, perhaps I would have asked for this for Christmas.) He writes:





His book is about Senator Joe McCarthy and in it Evans goes back to primary sources to uncover and expose the bias in today's historical renderings of the man. What he finds may be shocking to some: that the passage of time has proven Sen. McCarthy to be correct on almost all of his assertions, and that there has been a concerted effort by historians to smear his reputation in spite of facts known at the time.




Growing up, I would hear my father come to Senator McCarthy's defense more than once. It was years before I found another who would do the same.


*************************


Mr. Culbreath of Stoney Creek Digest has been putting up a series of forms for morning and evening prayer which he hopes to make available in a booklet. From what I have seen it is great and much needed. I hope one of the forms of Evening prayer includes De Profundis.


*************************************



I think Mrs. Curley and I (if all goes well) may have a chance to have a dance or two tonight. My favorites to dance to with Mrs. Curley include: Glen Miller's Stairway to the Stars; anyone It Had to be You and Bix Beiderbecke's Singin' the Blues-the first two for romantic and sentimental reasons, and the latter for fun.


Here's a pic of my parents dancing just before they were married. My Mom was really a square dancer and my Dad a jitterbugger.

Have a great weekend.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: