Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Demographics

As I listened on the radio to the NH primary coverage last night, I starting thinking about demographics-changing demographics.

I grew up in Massachusetts, but we went to NH for summer camp, the zoo, the beach, my sister's college, etc. In fact Magdalen College, where two of my sisters attended, then located in Bedford, NH was in the middle of nowhere. As a matter of fact, all of NH (as I recall it) was in the middle of nowhere. Now, Bedford, NH is part of suburban sprawl. Suburbs of what you ask? Boston!

Even as I listened to voter interviews in Southern NH last night, I heard more Boston accents then the NH/New England accent.

I don't know what all this means politically. Surely NH is still much more conservative than its Southern neighbor MA, but it is changing. If Mitt Romney was considered more conservative than John McCain, one wonders why McCain can win NH solidly in Romney's back yard?

The fact that many independents voted Democrat (for Obama) may be part of the demographic shift also.

Southern NH is not what is used be.

No comments: