Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Cock-a-doodle-doo!


I just heard our rooster crow! (It was a weak crow, repeated three times, but it was a crow.)

That might be no big deal, but we were wondering if it would ever happen. I really think they need to be taught-either by hearing other roosters, or by hearing me. For the last month I have been "crowing" whenever I go near the chicken pen, just so the fellow out there gets the idea. (I claim credit for teaching our roosters of past flocks how to crow also. I wonder what an expert like The Yeoman Farmer thinks of my theory.)

Now, we can also hear our neighbor's roosters crow in the distance sometimes, but that's not exactly the same as hearing your own. And, I will admit that just maybe our rooster learned from the neighbor's roosters.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: