Monday, November 05, 2007

Baptism


Yesterday Mrs. Curley and I (and the family) were at a Baptism-we were the Godparents. I held the little baby boy for quite some time during the afternoon. I had forgotten how small they could be.

The Baptism took place during the 9:00 AM Mass at St. Martin de Porres Chuch. The pastor gave a moving sermon on how we needed to pray for our friends and relatives who had fallen away from the Faith so that they might not perish.

Although it was an inner-city parish, it had the feel of a small parish and close community. The music was joyous and always praising God.

After the infant one was baptized, the pastor took the baby from his mother and presented him to the congregation.

The party was great. Mrs. Curley and her mother (who is visiting) made the cake. We saw some old friends we hadn't seen in a while. Our kids picked up with our friend's kids as if we lived next door. It was a wonderful time. (One of our friend's boys asked if we sleeping over-I wish we could have.)

As I drove home, I could still smell the baptismal oils with which the young infant had been anointed. It brought back memories and helped me contemplate Baptism. I have 7 children-the young infant's parents have have 8. So many doesn't lesson or de-sensitize you to the sacrament-but heightens it, as it gives you more times to contemplate it.

A wonderful day of God's blessings! (Note: Holy Card image lifted from Holy Cards for your Inspiration blog)

Our Lady of Joyful Hope-pray for us! .... Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: