Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Article Round-Up

Interesting article this morning on Advent and Christmas on Catholic Exchange . Here's a piece:

Stand in contradiction to the premature revelry and the misguided festivities. Give the world over to the world. Go into your rooms, shut the doors and pray — pray for fidelity, pray for oblation, pray for true peace. Such an example to our children would be far more helpful than to demand that the world pay lip-service to a God it will not honor. It didn't receive Him upon His birth, and now it mocks Him on His annual feast. Branding the mockery as "Christmas" only heaps scorn on our Beloved.

I am not sure if I agree totally with this different perspective (read the whole thing)-but prayer always should be our first recourse; and she has this right. (Read the whole article here ).

I neglected to mention that the most recent issue of Catholic Men's Quarterly landed in my mailbox last week. It was a particularly good issue. Maybe my favorite was Thomas Storck's piece on the purpose of property:

As I noted above, when something has a purpose, that purpose acts a limit on its use. The purpose judges and controls the morality of the thing or action accoridng as it suse contributes to or detracts from its end.

Get yourself a subscription!

There was an article in the November Catholic World Report I wanted to comment on, but have not yet found the time.

And as for my next installment of the "The Ways of God" - for fathers: I missed my self-imposed Friday (last) deadline, and now with Thanksgiving looming it will probably be another week or so.

Our Lady of Joyful Hope-pray for us!....Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: