Friday, October 19, 2007

End of the day (week) notes

I don't sleep well when Mrs. Curley is away, so I am up later than usual.

TS writes to me that I forgot to mention John McCain in my presidential sweepstakes post below. Frankly, he was completely off my radar screen. I remember 8 years ago South Carolina Citizens for Life (SCCL) endorsed GW over McCain and all the others in the primary. I was peeved at the time because they passed over more pro-life candidates than either of these two. I assume because Bush and McCain were the only serious contenders. I know that SCCL was concerned about McCain-Feingold: fearing it would limit the free speech of pro-life groups during election cycles. I also see from a newsletter I received today from National Right to Life that McCain supports embryonic stem cell research.

My previous posts on the presidential race has centered on Life and Marriage issues-surely the most important we face. But if all these things were equal among the candidates, there are other issues that could separate candidates. Two I am concerned with at the moment are immigration (as in Mexico) and Middle East policy-not only Iraq, but Iran, Israel, etc.

As to the former I will have take a closer look. Most seem to be for building walls and deportations. I don't think this is where I stand. And the Middle East: I don't have a comfortable feeling about where the Republican candidates stand about what our interests are and the best way to protect them. I will try to explore this more as the days go by-if only to think aloud. As I said below, it is time to start getting serious about who our options are-if any.

************

On another note, I have been checking in on our newest author's blog: A Funny Thing Happened. Besides a moving conversion story in her September posts, this week she writes about Motu Proprio and earlier in the week, about cleavage. Both are worth reading...

*********

Quote worth repeating: I was talking to one of the older sons today. He had been complaining that some of the younger ones don't alway pull their weight in cleaning up-that he could do it faster by himself. I asked him to remember a few years back when his older siblings were complaining about him. He agreed about that, and then said about the younger ones: "I sort of feel sorry for them. Cleaning up isn't so bad. Matter of fact I sort of enjoy it. It gives you time to think about things." Take heart parents. They do start growing up!

*************

On a our loss (but to be expected) note, Mr. Culbreath is going on another blogfast. May God be with him.

***********

Time to change the laundry and finish my 3rd quarter sales tax reporting to the state which has to have tomorrows postmark.

Have a great weekend-don't know whether I will be checking in or not. The kids did a good job cleaning today while I worked in the office. I think they want to go on an outing tomorrow instead doing our regular Saturday chores. I planted our 3 blueberry bushes this evening after dinner. These things are tiny but they say we should have fruit next summmer. I'm betting 3-7 berries each unless these things really take off. Meant to thin the turnips today but forgot.

Oh yes, the laundry... got to go.

Our Lady of Joyful Hope-pray for us! ... Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: