Thursday, July 12, 2007

Walking, hats, and torturing your wife

We have a new routine this summer. I am of course up before dawn as usual. I get the kids and Mrs. Curley up a point past dawn-usually around 7:00 AM. After a quick prayer the kids all go weed the garden(s) (and after being a way for 10 days it really needs it) while Mrs. Curley & I walk. Its a cardo-vascular thing you know.

I used to run in the mornings when we lived in the city. I would run our neighborhood streets at 5:30 every morning. When it rained or was very cold, I would run in place in front of the TV watching the morning news. Out here, I really can't run the roads as they are too thin and the speed limit too fast to my liking. The cornfields are too sandy. So I walk. Its probably better for my aging knees anyway.


After we finish walking, I come up to the office to start or finish something. Mrs. Curley prepares breakfast, and the kids continue to weed until breakfast is ready. This way the weeding gets done every day-but in the cool (if that exists) of the day, and Mrs. Curley & I get some time and exercise without feeling we stealing time from other places. So far it has worked well. We started before our jaunt to Massachusetts at the end of last month and were able to pick it up again now that we are home.

*****************************

People who know me well or see me often, know I am not too fashion conscious, but they also know there are two things they will most likely see me with/in: a sweater vest and a hat. (Some people say that I wear a hat to torture Mrs. Curley-but its not true.) All this to introduce a picture I came across which shows I came by my habit of wearing hats honestly and at a young age.




I am the little fellow in the striped shirt with the hat (not the Indian headress). Some of my siblings and I are gathered around my Grandmother at my old home in MA. I wear similar hats to this day.

And now about torturing Mrs. Curley-wearing my hat may be torture for Mrs. Curley, but that is not the intent. But, this brings to mind HT Webster who was a cartoonist (NYTimes) in the early to middle part of the 20th century. He had a number of 'series', one of which as called "How to torture your husband", and another called "How to torture your wife." My mother did have a copy of "The Best of HT Webster". I was looking for it this past week when visiting, but it seems that she has given it away to one of my siblings. I wanted to show Mrs. Curley some of the cartoons from this series. Here is one I found on-line from the cover of one of his collections:

Have a great day. More on the topics posted below later. -- Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: