Thursday, July 12, 2007

Odds and Ends

In our area (Kershaw County-but not in Columbia, SC) you stay somewhere, you don't live somewhere. For example, a person does not say, "I live in Bethune". They would say, "I stay in Bethune." And you don't ask someone where they live; you ask them where they stay. Personally, I can't get used to it. I do my living wherever I am staying....

*******************

MacClouds Peach Farm in McBee (prounounced MacBee) is a big deal out here. They have more peaches than anyone else (and although Georgia is known as the peach state, SC actually grows more). They also sell cantaloupe, watermelon, blackberries, peppers, well everything. They also sell ice cream and and have free antique museum. Mostly the museum has old cars, trucks and tractors. But they also have old wood planes (in useable condition), windup phonographs, washing machines, washboards, wringers, you name it-anything old. Unfortunately none are demonstrated-you can't play a record for instance. Some of the wood planes I would love to use-I have a couple myself. But we go every time we get peaches-like we did today. (We won't get our own this year because we lost all the buds to a late frost.)

****************

Earlier we went up to the town of Patrick to a junk yard to get a new vent window for the big van. The latch had broken. The dealership wanted $90 + tax for a new one. (The give you the whole window). I got one up in Patrick for a about a 1/3 of the price in about a 30 minute wait. Not too bad. I remember sitting all afternoon in a junk yard outside of Camden a couple years ago when I wanted to replace the headlight module on the mini-van after Mrs. Curley killed a deer with it.

No comments: