Saturday, March 31, 2007

"Dear God, don't let my Daddy go to jail...

That was one of the prayers we heard last night in our living room! Here's the story.

Apparently I received a jury summons many days ago in the mail, along with a questionaire which had to be returned 3 days after receipt. Whoever brought the mail in the day it arrived never delivered it properly and it was 'discovered' last evening when doing some cleaning.

In using this incident to 'teach' my children the necessity of being responsible-like delivering the mail, I read to the children from the instructions: "Failure to obey this summons may result in $100 fine and or 3 days imprisonment." Thus the prayer in the heading. At least I know one of them cares...

Back to the jury questionaire. This is a summons for Federal Court. Just as I posted in November 2005 (here) there are some odd questions to be answered. Although I listed and we discussed them 1.5 years ago, I will list a few of them again.

17. What are your hobbies, special interests, recreational pastimes and other spare-time activities, including sports?

18. What magazines and newspapers do you regularly read?

20. What social, political, civic, religious, and other organizations do you belong to or are you assoicated with?

22. Have you displayed any bumper stickers on you automobile in the last twelve months? If yes, please list each bumper sticker.

and Question 45:

Regardless of any opinion you may have concerning a particular law, would you be able to set aside your feelings and follow the law as stated by the judge?

This year (as before) I answered Q45 with a 'No'. In the explanation I simply stated that no one in good conscience can uphold an unjust law, or hold someone else accountable to it; that I was not claiming that any unjust laws presently exist in the US, but that as a matter of theory and principle; and that I did believe there was some precedent for jury nullification of laws.

As last time, I am sure I won't get picked with the answers I have given, but who knows?

We I have some digging to do today. I have a drain line on the schedule this morning, so I better get cracking.

From Bethany, the small holding in Bethune...Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: