Thursday, January 18, 2007

cars, sleet, wood, and praising God

What a day was yesterday!!!! Car trouble (worn piston rings-uh oh) on the primary and had it towed from the first garage who diagnosed to the 2nd garage who can do the work. Then driving home (~60 miles away) in the secondary, the brake fluid light and then the charge light come on. Brake fluid is okay. Belts are okay. Call Mrs. Curley tell her I am going to try to get the car home (don't know why, our (and only) mechanic in Bethune closed up shop several months ago). Mrs. Curley is concerned and also unhappy cause this means she will have to run CCD alone. Warning lights go out while I drive on the highway and never come back on, but I notice the battery charge drops below 12V for the entire ride home (alternator???). This is a very good reason to work at home. (Mrs. Curley-from all reports received-ran CCD without a hitch.)

**********************

Speaking of work, my dream was never to run a company to publish Catholic books. My dream since I was very young was to make things from wood: toys, boxes, furniture. My calling card would look something like the picture. Never had any formal training and never thought it practical ...

I used to watch Norm Abrams alot, but he got ever and ever more expensive power tools. Personnally I am more of a handtool man. I don't own a router, but can do the same job with a hand plane. I do have a few power tools, but prefer to do without for most jobs.

Why I bring this up today? I don't know. I just found a bunch of these business cards lying around from our ill-fated venture at the Bethune Chicken Strut festival last spring. I still have a bunch of walking sticks and my daughter still has a bunch of wreaths. Maybe we should sell them on ebay?

For me, there is just something about the smell of the wood shop and the satisfaction of building something with your hands-seeing almost immediate results I suppose.

**********************

One of my favorite Eucharistic hymns is "Jesus, my Lord, my God, my All". I was talking to a coaxed-out-of-retirement theology teacher at my school yesterday. In just 3 weeks (he is filling in for someone who left over Christmas) he has his classes singing. He told me that yesterday he taught them this favorite. Makes me think we should do that in math class too. During Advent I had my homeroom class singing O Come, O Come Emmanuel every day. The theology teacher told me that he just gave them the words and told them to follow along with him. He said he told the class, "If you don't like my voice, tough. It is the voice God gave me, and I will sing with it." Inspiring....

*********************

Sleet and ice overnight. 2-hour delay for school start this morning. I am hoping it turns into a cancellation. After the car stuff yesterday, I started the taxes when I got home-hoping I could find some sources of refund to fund this stuff. It will be hard. I don't think I have paid too much to get much of a refund (although I am sure I won't owe Uncle Sam anything either-neither teaching or Catholic publishing will make you rich quickly.). If school gets canceled maybe I can finish them today.

****************

Will end this morning with the hymn penned by convert and priest Father Fredrick William Faber:

Jesus, my Lord, my God, my all,
How can I love Thee as I ought?
And how revere this wond'rous gift,
So far surpassing hope or thought.
Sweet Sacrament, we Thee adore.
O make us love Thee more and more!
O make us love Thee more and more!

Had I but Mary's sinless heart,
To love Thee with, my dearest King;
O with what bursts of fervent praise,
Thy goodness, Jesus, would I sing!
Sweet Sacrament, we Thee adore.
O make us love Thee more and more!
O make us love Thee more and more!

O, see, within a creature's hand,
The vast Creator deigns to be,
Reposing infant-like, as though
On Joseph's arm, on Mary's knee.
Sweet Sacrament, we Thee adore.
O make us love Thee more and more!
O make us love Thee more and more!

Thy body, soul, and Godhead, all--
O mystery of love divine!
I cannot compass all I have,
For all Thou hast and art are mine.
Sweet Sacrament, we Thee adore.
O make us love Thee more and more!
O make us love Thee more and more!

Sound, sound His praises higher still,
And come ye Angels to our aid;
'Tis God, 'tis God, the very God,
Whose power both man and angels made.
Sweet Sacrament, we Thee adore.
O make us love Thee more and more!
O make us love Thee more and more!

2 comments:

TS said...

He said he told the class, "If you don't like my voice, tough. It is the voice God gave me, and I will sing with it." Inspiring....

I always remember our grade school nun telling us that if God didn't give us a good voice, then we should remind him of that often!

Long-Skirts said...

"he has his classes singing."

"He who sings, prays twice!"

JMJ
Long-Skirts