Friday, December 15, 2006



First, let's get the business out of the way. As announced here yesterday, I am making available at least part of Two Towers-the deChristianization and a Plan for Renewal on my other blog. The Preface runs today.

We are also (albeit a little late) running a Christmas special. From now until December 23rd you can buy "Witnesses to the Holy Mass and other sermons" by Dom Bede Camm OSB for $5.00 (regularly $8.95)and/or The Maccabees-Forgotten Heroes of Israel, also for $5.00 (regularly $9.95).

Witnesses ... gives both some historical and spiritual insight into the sacrifices of the English martyrs under Henry VIII and Elizabeth I. It was our first full-length book and in fact one of the inspirations which became Requiem Press. This book was originally published in England in 1904 and never published in the US. Our edition is re-typeset. The "King's English" has been updated to American English. Footnotes have been added to explain Latin phrases, biblical quotations, and to clarify some historical facts perhaps not known at the time of the original writing. Thomas More, John Fisher, Edmond Campion, and some lesser known martyrs all make appearances in this wonderful work.

**********************

A year or more ago Mr. Culbreath of the late Hallowed Ground blog directed his readers to The Deliberate Agrarian which I carry on my sidebar. Mr. Kimball is an author and a Protestant agrarian. At the time of Mr. Culbreath's referral, I recall Mr. Culbreath commenting that Mr. Kimball 'would make a good Catholic'. In the past several weeks Mr. Kimball has posted some interesting material. Here he explores the role of John Calvin in inspiring the industrial revolution (of course Mr. Kimball sees and understands many of the bad results of the IR.) Here Mr. Kimball discusses the National Catholic Rural Life Conference. And here Mr. Kimball talks about the book "Flee to the Fields" about the Catholic Land Movement in England during the first part of the 20th century (distributism etc.) (It is a great book, I read it a few years ago.)

I have been meaning to direct my readers to these posts as well as many of the other interesting ideas and projects of Mr. Kimball for some weeks now. I believe in many ways Mr. Kimball and I are kindred spirits.

************

Finally, I am getting so much spam in my email, I am sure I have deleted one or more legitimate emails over the past couple weeks amidst the spam. If you emailed me and have not heard from me, try again. That address is: jcurley "AT" requiempress "DOT" com. (no spaces)

From the small holding in Bethune... Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: