Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Chickens

Looks like we may get some more chickens this very soon. I was down buying rabbit feed the other day at the local feed store and they had some week old Rhode Island Reds-mostly hens. It has been some months since we had chickens around here. I need to fix the doors to the hen yard/coop, but other than that, I think we're ready for them again.

Having your own supply of eggs and the occasional bird for the pot is worth (at least for me, maybe not for the child with the chores) the trouble they are.

On that note, we haven't planted yet on the portion of our garden where the chicken tractor was rotated. Probably this week (we are a little late in some of our planting). Can't wait to see how it goes (or grows).

Surprisingly some of the small apple trees we inherited are giving fruit this year. Our area is good for peaches but not apples, so we will see how this goes.

That's all for now. Back to work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They say that chicken manure should be at least one year old and well composted before it is used as fertilizer. Something about a high concentration of nitrogen in fresh manure "burning" the roots of your plants ...

I received the books today: thank you! LeXuan has already finished the "Giving Up Stealing..." book. Last night she was doubled over laughing so hard I had to take it away from her.

Anonymous said...

I meant that we received the books *yesterday*, of course.

Jim Curley said...

Yes, it has been a little less than a year, but the manure wasn't too concentrated-we moved the tractor frequently. They say you will get great plants and no fruit if the Nitrogen is too high.

Glad you received the books-seems it took a long time.

TS said...

I refer to Jeff on my blog sometimes as a gentleman farmer but didn't mean to exclude you! You certainly qualify.

Jim Curley said...

TS-Don't be too sure. Sometimes I'm a gentleman, I'm not sure I will ever be a farmer no matter what I try.

Anonymous said...

I was going to comment on that a while back, TS.

To be a gentleman
is a goal I have
yet to obtain;
To be a farmer
is to sow golden
fields of grain.

While the former is
not out of reach
The farmer in me
has gone to the beach.

Well, it sort of rhymes. As you like to say, you get what you pay for. :-)