Thursday, December 01, 2005

Ruminations...

I went to Mass this morning. I hadn't been to daily Mass in a week or so. In fact in the last month, my usual daily attendence has been down to a couple times a week. St. Catherine's is 35 miles away and essentially we only have the big Chevy Beauville van in good enough working order to make the trip consistently-of course the Chevy only gets 10-12 miles to the gallon. Even with the price of gas back to pre-Katrina levels, it is expensive. I hate to say that daily Mass isn't in the budget. The Eucharist has truly sustained me in this past 18 months. I am conflicted as I think of St. Isadore who made daily Mass the priority in his life-even at the threat of losing his job in the fields. His faith and devotion made it possible for God to send angels to help him complete his work every day. My faith isn't that strong. God has provided for us every step of the way-sometimes in surprising ways. Yet my practical, human, and weak side makes me budget-cut the Mass instead of having the faith that God will provide for us. In fact He has provided even with my weakness.

(By the way, this isn't a plea for more book sales so I can assist at daily Mass-although don't let me hold you back... It is merely my thoughts as I drove home and gave thanksgiving for the Eucharist this morning.)

From Bethany, the small holding in Bethune...Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: