Thursday, October 27, 2005

Old books, Carthusians, Friends and blogs....


Several years ago, a friend of my parents was looking for a book: Sources of Renewal: The Fulfillment of Vatican II by Karol Wojtyla. This book was first printed in the US in 1980 after he became Pope. It was originally written in Polish, and I think before he became Pope.

Knowing I was accomplished at finding used books on the internet, they contacted me. It took several months. Finally (after several months) I located a copy and purchased it for $11.04 (this included a $5 shipping charge). I just looked today on my favorite used book sources (abe.com, bookfinder.com and alibris.com) and see numerous copies available, priced from $35 to well over $100.

I passed the book on so quickly, I didn't have time to read it. I was talking to Mr. Gallagher (the friend of my parents who requested the book) this summer. He said it was excellent and should be more widely available. I must take a look into getting a hold of another copy...

The headline feature article today at SeattleCatholic.com is about the Carthusian martyrs. These saints are very close to my heart. (I have more books on the Carthusian martyrs in particular and the English martyrs in general than one man should be allowed to own). (Note Requiem Press' very first release: Witnesses to the Holy Mass and other sermons has a chapter on these heroic men.)

Finally, (via Amy Welborn) I have found that a good friend of mine right here in SC is a new contributor to Right Reason. See his first post here. I will have to add this blog to my sidebar when I get the chance.

From Bethany, the small holding in Bethune...Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: