Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Who wrote these lines?

I hesitate to post this, but it struck me. I am not taking sides, as I am not on a side. I am no theologian. I don't usually go around trying to explain what this Pope "really said" or "really meant". I can be upset at times. Sometimes I am confused.
 
All that being said, sometimes this Pope says some good things too. Very good things. But some can't separate the confusing from the good. I usually don't try to parse these things publically.
 
And sometimes I read things in other places. For example, I have heard choruses of criticism of Pope Francis for making statements very much like the following:
 
Jesus identifies himself with those in need, with the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked, the sick and those in prison. “As you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me” (Mt 25:40). Love of God and love of neighbour have become one: in the least of the brethren we find Jesus himself, and in Jesus we find God.
 
.....
 
Love of God and love of neighbour are thus inseparable, they form a single commandment.

However, both of these are from Deus Caritas Est (Pope Benedict XVI).

Oremus pro invicem!

2 comments:

Charlie said...

The critics of these teachings tend to be political conservatives who know nothing of Russell Kirk's charitable actions for the poor or his love of environmental conservation. I blame the libertarians with their values free economics for corrupting conservatism.

Jim Curley said...

Charlie, I didn't know you had a blog yourself! Enjoy reading it.

What you say is true....