Thursday, November 05, 2015

I shouldn't rant ...

but I am self-employed and get my health insurance from the marketplace. I have probably ranted before ....

Here's what you have to deal with: You put in your monthly income-specifying it as monthly income. They ask to confirm it. Then they multiply by 12 and ask if this is your yearly income. Then they divide it by twelve and ask if this is your monthly income.

They ask if you are a US citizen. Then 45 questions later they ask if you are an illegal alien even if you already indicated you are a US citizen.

At some points in the application, the program will invariably lock up. At that point, hold on to your hair, because the only option is to x-out of the website and then re-login. The problem is that even though you think all the previous responses have been saved (after all there is a green check mark next to all "saved" answers), when you log back in, those answers are not saved and you start from scratch or (if you get extremely lucky) from the beginning of one of the sections.

It is not any better if you call in. In the past two years I have applied over the phone. The same thing happens-the program locks up and you call back 24 hours later and start from scratch.

Can I charge the government for my wasted time trying to fill this thing out?

You would think by now the bugs in the program would have been fixed, the redundancy eliminated, and well ..... it is a government thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have hair you can hold on to? I guess I haven't seen you lately . . .

Jim Curley said...

Ha! I accused Mrs. Curley of this, but she begged off-saying she thought to make this comment, but didn't.

I figured most people reading would have hair. I lost mine 2 years ago the first time I encountered Obamacare. (Well, actually not)