Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Busy week. We finally got all the peanuts harvest and put into "trees". Of course the first bunch is already dry and ready to separate the peanuts from the hay. But it will have to wait.

The sorghum was suddenly ready. I didn't think we had enough to bring to the farmer up the road to press, (drought, then tons of rain, then drought again, didn't produce the big stocks. For a while I thought we had lost the crop) so I looked for an alternative way to get a little syrup out of our best stocks.

What we did is take our best sorghum stocks and chop them up. We boiled the stocks in water to boil the syrup out. Then we removed the stocks and boiled the syrup down like one normally does. So far it is working well, but we have a ways to go.

Also getting everything in shape for our annual fall square dance, complete with pig roast. Our pig has been getting plenty of milk and should be great by the time its ready to harvest.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: