Wednesday, October 16, 2013

This past weekend we had a square dance and roasted a hog out here on the Curley homestead. My daughter took a bunch of pictures of the hog slaughter process for the book I am working on (hope to be available late in fall or early winter) on how to slaughter and butcher a hog. Here is a sample of some of the pictures she took.

The first picture was taken actually after the bullet was fired. The hog was standing up for the shot, but you can see here that the back legs are down.

Stunning the hog
 
 
Scalding the hog in a barrel of heated water (165 F) before scraping the hair off.
 



Some of the hair was stubborn, so we singed off the rest.

After evisceration, my son Matthew saws the carcass in half.
 
 
Oremus pro invicem!

1 comment:

Jim Dorchak said...

The student long ago became the teacher. I look forward to reading the book. It will be perfect for me with lots of pictures and a tast of yummy Curley pork as a post script.

Jim Dorchak