Monday, October 22, 2012

Logs and Hogs!

Still cutting wood. I think we might have enough for the winter, but am not sure. Last winter was so mild, it is hard to judge what we’ll need this year. Folks in the area have been so good, letting us cut up downed trees on their property. My goal is to get way ahead of the game. After all, I won’t have sons to split wood the rest of my life.

This year, with my two oldest sons working in most of their free time (oldest as an EMT saving for college and number 2 at the hardware store) my number 3 son has split virtually every piece of wood we will burn this winter, and number 4 son has stacked virtually every log we will burn. Of course, I haven’t been idle-I man the chainsaw.

I’ve done a 5-month stint on the local quail farm. This will be ending in another few days. The extra income was welcome, but at a cost. Our own homestead suffered with the quail commitment, which was not quite as advertised. I didn’t have time to plant the Crowder peas we on planned our leased acreage (but we did get a good peanut crop), and I didn’t get a fall garden in for the first time in eight years.

We have two new endeavors in-the-making. First is my small engine repair shop which I think I mentioned a few months ago. It never got off the ground with the quail farm in the mix. But this week the sign will go up out front, and we’ll be in business!

And then there’s the pigs … In the past we have sold mostly weaned piglets, keeping just enough to fill our own freezer. This fall we are raising most of our last two litters to sell as either bbq hogs (~ 120 lbs or so) or as butcher hogs (~ 230 lbs. or so.) We will sell these hogs and deliver them to the butcher of the customer’s choice. The customer pays us for the hog and pays the butcher for the desired cuts of meat. The goal is to get great tasting pork into customers’ hands for about $2.75-$3.00 per pound.

In fact, I have started a facebook page (never thought I'd do that!) to let local pork lovers know about this unique opportunity. The current crop of pigs will be raised on peanuts, dairy, produce (when available) and grain. This pork will have a great flavor.

Finally, the coming presidential election … oh I can’t say anything good, so I won’t say anything.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: