Wednesday, February 04, 2009

I had already finished my post below when I read this sad news. I met Amy Welborn and Michael Dubruiel in April 2006. Here is what I reported. But now I will tell the rest of the story.

We were coming back from a wake in Columbia, and we pass through Camden on the way home. I knew Amy was doing a booksigning at a coffee shop there. The whole family was with us. I parked the van and Mrs. Curley and I walked down to the coffee shop leaving the kids in the car. We peeked in the window, and sure enough there was Amy Welborn sitting at a table with 2 or 3 other folks. The rest of the place was deserted.

Now I am not a people person. I don't like to take initiative to talk to someone I don't know. I like talking, but I hate those first phases of conversation.

So Mrs. Curley and I stood outside the window discussing whether we should go in and what I should say. We must have discussed it for 10 minutes. All this time, a man was changing a diaper in the car behind us. We took little notice.

Finally, someone at the table waved at us, so I figured we had to go in. I am glad we did.

We went in and had a wonderful conversation with Amy. She gave Lori a copy of her book on Saint Mary Magdalen. After a while Amy introduced to Michael who just came in-he was changing a diaper in the car!

Mrs. Curley and I often have wondered whether he heard our conversation about to whether to go in and what to say. He may have because he was especially gracious to me.

He pulled me aside and we talked as one publisher/editor to another. He encouraged my efforts and made me seem like I knew something (which I still don't).

We corresponded once or twice since, and again he was encouraging and very open to helping any way he could.

May God grant Michael rest and his family consolation.


Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Requiescant in pace. Amen. — Eternal rest grant to them O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.

No comments: