Saturday, March 01, 2008

Saturday

A few main tasks today-taking longer than expected. Oldest son extended our outside dog's pen so she has some room to run around. Second oldest son spent much of the day salvaging the wood from an old box spring and taking nails out of some crate would we aquired.

Myself, with various helpers, made railing for our side stairs using some of this salvage crate wood. I secured a cross beam with through tenons-inspired by a recent book given me about making mission-style furnature. We set it in concrete after dinner in the dark. Busy and tiring day. Using a handplane to smooth rough sawn wood is a real workout.

Update: Never set something in concrete in the dark! I didn't set the back end of the railing deep enough, and it slants, further, it threw my though tenon (not yet wedged) out of flush. I didn't notice til I was leaving for Mass on Sunday morning.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: