Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Rest

of the stuff I made for Christmas...

The first is a foot-stool for Mrs. Curley made of pallet wood. It is mostly poplar, but it turns out the wood I selected for one of the legs is oak. I didn't know till I started to shape it with a hand plane. The top (not so visible here) is left with plane marks-this makes it look "rustic". The sides are mortised into the legs. It is stained with Minwax' "Special Walnut". Then I got lazy. Instead of a varnish, I used a clear paint in a can. It dries faster in an unheated garage. My youngest son helped me throughout this construction.






The next is a rosary box for my Mom. It is bigger than the one made for my God-child last fall because it was designed to hold several rosaries which my Mom keeps on a table in front of her statue of the Blessed Virgin in her living room. The box is oak with Cherry keys (maybe they're mahogany-I can't recall).


So, there you go.


From the small holding in Bethune...Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: