Sunday, February 24, 2008

So Saturday I built a new laying house for our Plymouth Barred Rocks (we got six eggs today.) I built it with some pallet wood, some posts I scavenged off some large crates, and some other lumber I had hanging around. The roof is tin.

My children think its funny that our pigs and chickens have tin roofs, and we don't.

I also built a small trough for the pigs (our of pallet wood.) Before they were eating out of a bucket, but they couldn't all eat at once. Now they can.

I had more stuff to do, but daylight burned quickly.

Youngest son learned how to ride a bike today! We have two more to go.

Mrs. Curley and I took a turn around the property today to do some planning. I am going to research if I can build and half-cellar structure (about 3-4 inground) that we can use as a slaughter/butcher house and maybe a root cellar. Our soil is sand, so underground structures are tricky.

The pen we built for the pigs is in a larger pen which the previous owner kept goats. I don't think they cleaned out the manure much. In digging the holes for the posts, we noticed that the soil was very, very rich. I think we planted our garden in the wrong spot.

We have some more projects for the spring. We aim to get this place in tip-top shape and more productive this year. Stay tuned...

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: