Monday, January 21, 2008

It was a good weekend. I voted in the morning and got into the shop a little on Saturday to make a toy I had promised someone. Sunday after Mass we went over a friend's house for the day. Mrs. Curley visited with her friends, the kids with theirs, and I watched some football with my friends. I don't see much football because we get little (as mentioned before) TV reception out here without a lot of work.

When I was young, we used watch the first half of the "early" game and then go out and play football. We would come in in-time to see part of the "late" game before dinner. This is how I remember my fall weekends.

**********************

I have been meaning to link to The Deliberate Agrarian's post about Family Traditions for a week or so now. I am sure most families have them. They are important.

For us third, fourth, fifth, etc. generation Americans, our family traditions come less and less from our heritage, OR we have lost knowledge of the raison d’ĂȘtre of this or that tradition.

Some of our family traditions come from Mrs. Curley's family, some from my family. Some come from the traditions of the Church. Some we made on our own-inspired by ..... something. I think I have written about many our traditions in the course of this blog.

As a parent, it is good to review these things from time to time to see what is working, what is not, and what is lacking. It is also very important that some of these traditions are spiritual: the family rosary, the Advent wreath, Sacred Heart enthronement, etc. Some should be fun. Some are just the way we do something that every else does.

I have one son in particular who is very opposed to changing any tradition in the minutest detail. He wants to do everything for the sake of tradition. Yet, they can be changed, eliminated, improved-but only as Chesterston says, if you understand why the tradition was practiced or came to be in the first place.

**************************

I have discussed the raison d’ĂȘtre (how about that, got a chance to use this twice on one day!) of this blog more than once. The conclusion is that it is not about anything in particular. I usually write about whatever is on my mind. Sometimes I write personal stuff/happenings (but usually not too personal), sometime I write my opinion about culture or current events.

I don't think this will change much, but I do suspect that over the next few days/weeks you may see a different tone in my writing or subject matter as I contemplate God's will and how He lets us (namely me) know what it is. I ask your indulgence ahead of time.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: