Friday, January 11, 2008

Following in Dad's footsteps

In contemplating my two sons' accomplishments (see this post from yesterday) with their essays, I recall my own essay contest victory when I was about their age. By chance the clipping was among those things my Mom mailed to me this past summer.


They got my middle initial wrong, but otherwise it's okay. I recall the prize was a book on warships of the colonial era. I think I still have it. I also recall my mother and I atttending a DAR meeting as part of the award. As an 8th grade boy, this last was not much of a thrill at the time.

I am proud of my sons. Knowing the effort I put into my essay those years ago and watching my sons work on theirs (the older one must have recorded his reading of the essay almost 20 times) they put more into their work and wrote better essays than the one of my youth.

No comments: