Friday, January 25, 2008

Country roads and Irish Music

I was in the city for most of the day working and thus was unable to post much. I realized while driving in how much I love the country roads. It is so much easier to think and enjoy life (God's gifts) on a country road (as opposed to the conjestion riding into the city).

This morning my timing was particularly bad. 30 minutes earlier and I would have had clear sailing. As it was I was stuck in stop and go traffic (which I didn't think existed coming into Columbia from the East) for at least 1/2 hour.

I didn't have the radio because a cassette tape was stuck in the player. However the tape played-I listened to it four times through today. It was a collection of Irish (and American Irish) songs. My father had recorded them from somewhere-probably from several LP's years ago and sent them to me. His notation on the cassette case was sometimes interesting. He didn't know who some of the artists were and so described them; for example: "pretty voice sings song" & "sings another song"-and surely it was a pretty-or better yet, a heavenly voice. I don't the name of the songs she sang, but the voice reminded me of Gloria Jean.

Included on the tape also was a monologue story related by a man with a thick Irish brogue. He told the story of 70 year-old Pat Kelly and his trip to the ocean to get salt water to sooth his aching bones.

My Dad's comment at the bottom of the cassette cover was "Pretty Good Tape." I wish I knew what he recorded it from.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: