Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Number 3 Son, Number 1 Poet

I found a notebook on my desk this morning from son Matthew. It included the following:

The Our Father

Jesus taught us how to pray
"Our Father who art in heaven"
Jesus taught us how to say,
"Hallowed be Thy name"
Jesus gave us His own prayer

"Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done"
To save us from Satan's lair.
"On earth as it is in heaven"
This prayer is Holy as it seems
"Give us this day our daily bread"
Symbling God a great sunbeam
"And forgive us our trespasses"
This is how the prayer goes
"As we forgive those who trespass against us"
Pray to win over all foes
"And lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil. Amen!"

and this one (no doubt influenced by the Animi Christi which is prayed aloud by our pastor after every Mass):

Jesus Christ, Teach Me!
Eternal Father, Help me!
Saviour of the world, Save me!
United in three, deliver me!
Supreme Being, take me!

and this:

The Sacred Host

The priest elevates the Sacred Host
The people watch and pray.
Christ is who they worship most
And sing unto this day.

There are 17 more such poems in a notebook on my desk. It's funny, ever since I started publishing books, my kids have been writing in hopes I will give them a contract.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: