Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Saving RP, or getting back in business

Update: It's not only me. I came across this site this morning. They claim over 200,000 websites are down and wonder why the mainstream media has no stories on it.

I don't mean to keep harping on this website and email thing-but they're still down and no real time-frame to the fix. First it was "3-4 hours"; then it was "shortly"; last evening it was: "I can't tell you how long, but it will be soon." (Is "soon" more or less time than "shortly"?)

I am not sure how all these things work, but I got my domain name and website/email from a webhosting company. Apparently many, many webhosting companies get something from this larger company (Navisite) -I am not sure of the connection. But the problem is with Navisite. Last night I sneaked my way into a conference call meant for the webhosting companies-not website owners like me. Boy were the webhosting companies mad.

I didn't understand everything that was being said, but I could understand things like, "You guys need to find some expertise. You are running into problems and have no plan and have no idea what you are doing." and "I have over 2000 customers with websites down, and you have no idea what's going on or how to fix it." and "Every server you get running knocks one down that was already running. You are making no progress. There is a fundamental problem and you guys don't know what you are doing."

You see the trend. So I am taking some proactive steps before RP goes out of business.

First, by the end of the day, or tomorrow I will have a new "website" up. I started working on it last night. It is a blog, and will simply have one entry for each of our releases with the blurb and price etc., and a Paypal button. Simple, but at least it will put me back in business.

Secondly I will be getting a new email and putting it up in the corner where my old email is now. Of course I don't have a list of my old email addresses, so it will be slow.

In the long run though, at least I'll have a back up next time.

All this may mean I will be scarce today as I have my normal stuff to do also, and it is CCD night. I'll check in when I can as progress is made. (My next The Ways of God should post by weeks' end or "shortly", whichever comes first.)

Our Lady of Joyful Hope-pray for us! ... Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: