Tuesday, November 06, 2007

CatholicExchange has an interesting mix of articles this morning. The first one is about Latin-but it starts by saying that Harry Potter's school with its 'classical' curriculum will encourage the study of Latin among young people and help with the revival. The next article is an anti-Harry Potter editorial. (Note that I have never weighed in here on HP and don't expect to anytime soon. I have an opinion, but I don't think it is a dogmatic issue as some on both sides see it. Of course without comment boxes-it is safer to say anything I like.)

The third article on CE this morning though was my favorite. Russell Shaw has a way of put things in a way everyone (even me) can understand. He is talking about prayer:

I'm no master of the interior life — just a slogger like everybody else. Lately, though, it's occurred to me that in the final analysis there are two, and only two, ways of praying for things. One is to pray that you'll get what you want. The other is to pray that you'll want what you get. There's a lot to be said for both, but, ideally, the second way strikes me as significantly better than the first.

..... Wanting what God gives rests upon a great act of trust. It is based on the recognition that God is our Father Who knows what we really need and can be counted on to give it to us. Our own powers of perception in these matters are clouded and distorted in many respects. Certainly we are entitled to ask for what we think will best suit our situation. But if we are truly wise, with a healthily childlike wisdom, we will receive whatever the Father sends us in the confident certainty that it really is best.

Often I think we can convince ourselves that what we want is God's will or at least should be God's will-as if we know better.

In CCD a few weeks ago we were reading in the Catechism of the Catholic Church that prayer and faith are intimately linked. Look at Abraham (our father in faith) who trusted God even preparing to sacrifice his son if it was God's will.

Praying that "you'll want what you get" - I like it.

Our Lady of Joyful Hope-pray for us! ... Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: