Monday, September 17, 2007

Alan Keyes in the race?


This surprised me this morning when I read it (hat tip to AD Orientem). It surprised me even more that his run for the presidency is seen a calculated spoiler for Ron Paul. Is Ron Paul perceived as such a threat? -he isn't even in the front set of contenders. And Alan Keyes to me has always sort of bucked the establishment GOP in many ways-no a GOP lackey in any sense.

As the only anti-war GOP candidate, I don't know how much Ron Paul suffers from pro-war Alan Keyes. There are several really solid pro-life candidates, thus Alan Keyes is more likely to take some of their (Brownback esp.) votes.

It all doesn't make sense to me yet. I am disappointed that Mr. Keyes is so pro-Iraq war, but I have always loved to hear him speak.

I saw him in person once during his 2000 campaign. I actually followed him as a guest on a radio show once (details here ) in my sole radio piece (I guess I didn't burn the paint off any walls).

I will have to keep my eye on this.

No comments: