Friday, August 24, 2007

In the mail


Several years ago I located a copy of this book for Les Gallagher. It took me quite a few months to locate a copy. Yet, at that time, I think I got the copy for $2-3. Of course this was before John Paul II had died. Now look for this book. Unless you get lucky, it runs $40 or more.

The last time I spoke with Mr. Gallagher he told me how good and important this book was-how many people should read it. So of course, though it has taken me a few years, I had to get it and read it for myself.

It was actually written in 1972-however the English editions didn't come out until Karol Wojtyla became John Paul II.

I have one more night of reading about the Shroud of Turin (at the moment I am in the midst of the Carbon-14 dating controversy), then I will be starting "Sources of Renewal-the implementation of Vatican II". If I come across anything good-be assured I will let you know.

Oremus pro invicem!

3 comments:

TS said...

This "Sources of Renewal" looks interesting. Be interesting to hear the highlights. And the carbon-14 dating on the Shroud book would be very interesting to me. It always seemed a bit far-fetched to get the results (14th century or thereabouts) and then try to explain those results away....I thought the Vatican was going to provide another piece of the Shroud for add'l dating but I guess not.

Years ago I'd imagined that God would never allow science to confirm the truth of the Shroud since then faith would no longer be required. But I think that naive now - i.e. my thinking that if the Shroud were proven true people would flock back to Christ. Unfortunately, we are able to explain away just about anything (including even Christians who accept the Bible as truth but who reject the clear words of Jesus: "This is my Body...".)

Jim Curley said...

TS-Left a comment earlier-but appears blogger discarded it. Oh well.

I was skeptical of those who tossed off the Carbon-14 dating as 'being done poorly' etc, being a trained physicist myself and understanding the C-14 dating in theory anyway.

However, as I came to understand HOW C-14 dating is used: usually not as a stand alone proof, but one of several evidences of somethings age (it can can confirm but usually is not used to deny on its own-only with other evidence.) that I began to think maybe the mistakes had been made.

I hope they do allow more testing. but as you say, most people don't flock to the Faith because of a miracle.

By the way, your post this morning on Mother Teresa was a good one.

Jim

TS said...

A trained physicist! - I see now that I won't be able to argue with you or Steven Riddle on matters scientific *grin*. Thanks for the compliment on the Mother Teresa post.