Friday, July 13, 2007

Homeschooling

A couple years ago when my daughter was home on vacation from college, she commented that of all the homeschooled kids at school she knew (and at Christendom College there are plenty) she was the only one (or one of the only ones) who didn't get all "A's" in high school. In fact her friends sort of thought it was weird that her parents wouldn't give her all "A's". This surprised me. I thought we Catholic homeschoolers were an ethical bunch. My daughter was a pretty good student, but not all A's. In fact her college grades were almost identical to her high school grades. This gave us some comfort that the grades we gave were a fair assessment of her work.

I think some homeschooling parents make their child retake tests or whatever evaluation is used until they get an "A"-meaning they've mastered the material-I guess that is fine. But I'm sure this is not the case for all homeschoolers. I mean you have to move on eventually. I think other homeschooling parents just give their kids "A's", and thus colleges have to rely on SAT scores.

And what of people like us who try to grade fairly? Does a college then think my kids are dopes because even though they are homeschooled they don't have all A's? What to do?

********************

I have had a few years off from formal teaching of my children. I usually start helping out in the high school years. My daughter finished a few years ago and now my oldest son is entering high school. I will be tutoring him in history (Ancient Civ), religion (can't remember the subject at the moment), and math. I am looking forward to the next 4 years.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: