Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Now reading...


Just started reading this. Of course growing up and all the years I lived in the Boston area, I had contact with Opus Dei. In fact, I would say that my spirituality is more Opus Dei than any other group I have ever encoutered-some of this I am sure was due to the formation I received from them in my formative years.

So I am looking forward to reading this. It is short. I don't know much about Dr. Hahn, except by reputation. I must confess, however, that I did have an ulterior motive to getting this book. Dr. Hahn mentions one of our books in the notes, and I was curious to see exactly what was said. Here goes, it is a note to Chapter 8:

On the problem of clericalism, no analysis has been more clear or constructive than that of Russell Shaw. His is a voice crying out in the wilderness. See especially his books Catholic Laity in the Mission of the Church (Bethune SC: Requiem 2005), To Hunt, to Shoot, to Entertain: Clericalism and the Catholic Laity (San Francisco, Ignatius 1993) ...



Just as a refresher, here are the covers to the other Russell Shaw books mentioned, (of course ours is familiar):

A note on the title to the Ignatius Press book, I believe this is a quote by a bishop in the 19th century as to what the laity were good for: only "to hunt, to shoot and to entertain."


***********************************


I have finally fixed the appearance of the link to TS' blog and have added the permanent link to Mr. Culbreath's latest effort. I should have added a few more links here and there which I visit regularly, but am pressed for time.

I do have this week off from school, but also have other works to catch up on. None-the-less, I may do some camping with the boys (we all feel the wild calling to us). I will definitely clean out the garage/shop so it can be functional again. There is a rodeo in town over the coming weekend, and maybe we will go check it out. Stay tuned....

From the small holding in Bethune...Oremus pro invicem!


1 comment:

BJ said...

Hi! I thought you and your readers might be interested in some post-Easter news about Pope Benedict XVI...
The Pope's car is being auctioned off to raise money for Habitat for Humanity:
www.buyacarvideos.com/popecar.htm
The bidding is already more than $200,000! Personally, I think this is a really fun and creative way to raise
money. The auction goes until April 14th if you and your readers want to check it out.