Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving and beyond...

It was a wonderful day. My sister from VA came down for the 11th straight year. Because of the bad weather on Tuesday and Wednesday (she was driving) I thought she might skip this year-but she made it.

We played our annual 'Turkey-Bowl" after Mass on Thursday. The green team beat the yellow team (mine) 58-27! It was the first time my team had done worse than a tie. Those boys are getting older and faster. The older boys (the green team) also constructed goal posts: this was the first year with point-after-TD for the Turkey Bowl. Youngest son scored all the TD's for the yellow team. I thought I was going out prematurely when oldest son took me down from behind. (I reminded him "gently" we were supposed to be playing 'touch' football.)

After the game a friend arrived to share dinner with us. Another was supposed to come, but is still in the hospital (see prayer request below-prayers still needed.) Our friend came bearing gifts-a telescope for the kids. Wow! I am one of the the kids! We had it out last night. The children had never seen the moon in such splendor. We live in an area where many, many stars are visible. The telescope highlights the multitude we couldn't see even before. This will bring many hours of fun.

Dinner...it was a delicious 23.6 lb turkey. Daughter #1 found it. Usually I buy the turkeys-but I am happy to pass the chore when we can find one this big. Of course we had sweet potatoes, corn, beans, green bean cassarole, cranberry sauce (homemade), potatoes, two kinds of stuffing, etc. etc. A grand feast. For dessert, number 3 son made a pecan pie and number one daughter made TWO apple pies. Mrs. Curley made 'magic squares'. All was fabulously delicious.

After dinner we watched the homemade "Blade of Zorro" movie (produced last summer). Then we sang some songs and laughed. I wished it would never end.

Saturday night I ran over my son's foot with the car-but it wasn't my fault. We were heading out to an oyster roast (oh boy!) when we realized we forgot the lemon squares. I pulled into the driveway and someone (who shall remain nameless) urged number 2 son to get out of the car quickly to get those lemon squares. He did so-problem was, I hadn't yet stopped the car. The rear tire pinched his heal and ankle. He yelled at me to back up-I thought I had run over a dog. No real damage. He limped a little, but then played football that night. Sunday he was limping some more. But 5 hours on the couch cured the limp. (No swelling or bruising.)

Sunday, my sister returned to VA. Things are back to normal. Back to work this morning.

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: