Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Movies & Books

Mrs. Curley read Heidi to the kids this past month. (Reading a good book aloud to the kids always seems to be a great hit.) At the end of the reading they watched the movie Heidi. Then they discussed the movie versus the book. Each (of those who can write) wrote a review comparing the two. Several of the reviews were extremely good. I wish I could quote from my oldest son's, but I don't have his handy.

Here are a few quotes from 8-year old daughter:

Sadness & Joy! Compare the two together. Then you will see that she (Heidi-ed) really had hard times. She had to make important decisions. And really I think the book is more inspiring than the movie because the book mentions God a whole lot. But, with the movie it didn't mention God at all! And the book didn't have as much violence and sadness. It didn't have the angriness and bitterness that the movie had. ...

Apparently God was replaced by a star which Heidi wishes on or talks to in the movie, (I didn't see the movie myself, I rely on the 'reviews').

I guess I am bragging on Mrs. Curley here a bit. She had never seen the movie, but after watching it with the kids decided on this discussion and paper.

Some of the comments I heard were very insightful. And this is the thing. Our kids need to be able discern and compare and contrast what they see and hear. They must be taught how at a young age as the secular world is closing in all around them. And as parents, as much as we would be willing to stand guard beside them our whole lives, it just doesn't happen that way.

It takes practice or training to stay alert and thinking when sitting in front of the television. (see Mr. Culbreath's 4-part article on television is worth a read. Part III here deals with higher brain function in front of the TV).

I think an example like this-while the TV Heidi was not particularly offensive in any way- I think the kids saw in a very open way how God is removed (in this case, it must have been pretty deliberate) from certain institutions in our society. I think it opened some eyes and confirmed Dad's frequent diatribes on the subject in a way I couldn't do myself. Again, kudos to Mrs. Curley's efforts. I was impressed.

On this great feast of the beheading of John the Baptist, Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: