Friday, August 11, 2006

Jury Duty

Well I pulled 2 cases for Monday. One is a speeding case and the other I'm not sure-although it is not a DUI. There were several DUI's, but I missed them all because they were being heard on the the days I got excused from (the first 2 days of school).

There were 2 wandering preachers in the pool. Both were excused from every DUI case by the defense. I understand that the prosecutor and defense attorneys have a certain number of jurors they can eliminate 'without cause', but it seems from my experience serving on juries (albeit limited) that certain people will never be sat on a jury for certain things. I wonder if this is fair?

Got things to do, but I'll be back later. I finally read this morning while waiting in jury pool John Paul II's entire letter on the rosary. I had read pieces here and there, but never the entire thing. Need to comment on it later today.

2 comments:

Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Mr. Curley, may God blkess you as you carry out this civic duty.

it seems that jury duty is a common experience in your neck of the woods. Is it because your town has a small population? I was called up but once, and dismissed because I was a college student at the time.

Jim Curley said...

Jury duty pools come from voter registrations. Our county is poor with little industry and low education expectations in a lot ways. All of this translates into low voter registration numbers-thus those of us registered get called more often.

(They did seat a college student today-but then again their year doesn't start for a couple more weeks.)

The defense (for the DUI cases) seemed to shy away from stay at home Moms and women teachers. Couldn't figure that one out.