Thursday, September 15, 2005

The saddest thing....

We live in a very small parish. Today's daily Mass was also the funeral Mass for a elderly parishioner. His wife had passed away a few years ago and was also buried from our parish. It seemed that most of his family came to the funeral from out of town. (None are parishioners that I know of.)

At Communion time, of the 40 or so family members present, only one family member received Holy Communion.

Upon leaving Mass I told my sons (who had served the Mass) that I didn't want to see that at my funeral. I expected my children to remain practicing Catholics and to be able to receive our Lord at my funeral Mass - and the same with my grandchildren and great-grandchildren (as the case may be)....

2 comments:

alicia said...

At least they had the respect to avoid communion when not in a state of grace! My experience has too often been the opposite - persons who hadn't graced the inside of a church for months or weeks or even years who would still go up for communion. I try to be charitable and to hope that they had made a good confession....

Jim Curley said...

Alicia- You make a good point - and I agree, that is what I see most often also.