Friday, December 17, 2004

The Workshop


This year we are attempting to make many (but not all) of the Christmas presents for the children. Mrs. Curley is making cowboy vests, bandanas, and aprons. Number one daughter is making capes and masks. I am making rifles, guns, and swords out of wood. I will also be making a swingset.

Some years ago I used to make many things out of wood. Once the children started coming, I became more of a handy repair man than anything else. Last year, however, I made a very nice toy revolver out of wood. I used different types of wood for the handle, barrel, chamber, and body. I sanded it to a marble finish. My four-year old broke it within three days. Thus I have learned my lesson: simple design, one piece construction, no need to sand any further than eliminating major splinter hazards.

It is certainly wonderful to get back in the workshop. The smell of fresh cut wood and sawdust is unique and refreshing. The sense of accomplishment when working with your hands is also not as frequently experienced in the 'white collar' world.

I have never had heat in any of my workshops. However in the past they were always at least connected to the house - which had heat, either a garage or a basement. This shop is detached from the house and is an unfinished garage. Thus, it is generally colder working out there at night. I let the cats in to roam the garage while I am working just in case there is a snake, toad or mouse lurking about the shop.

I am somewhat of the old school in my tool selection. I never buy a power tool to do a job until I have done it with hand tools. I think this makes me a better craftsmen. (But I could be wrong). I do use power tools at times, but I would rather smooth a piece of wood or round a corner with a hand plane than with a power sander or a router.

My work is by no means that of a master craftsman, but my work is usually sturdy and functional.

I think we are saving a bit of money by making these presents ourselves, but more importantly, we are building love into the work with our efforts.

From the small holding in Bethune...

Oremus pro invicem!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on beginner wood working projects I ended up on your page. As your this post is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to post your link on my "favorites" page. Should you ever need
information about beginner wood working projects, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, you have a fantastic blog. Keep it up. I was just out blog surfing for detailed info on wood working bench plan when I found your page. Your this post is a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. If you wouldn't mind, I'd would like to post your link on my "favorites" page for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on wood working bench plan then drop by and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, your blog is informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on cat gift basket, I ended up on your page. Your this post shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future read, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this
site about cat gift basket.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on wood working shop plan I somehow ended up on your page. As your this post is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about wood working shop plan, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger...Wow! While I was searching for info on wood working joint I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working joint. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about wood working joint.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on free wood working catalog I somehow ended up on your page. As your this post is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about free wood working catalog, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on power sander tool wood working, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about power sander tool wood working.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on small wood working project I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for small wood working project. Should the need ever arise where you need information on small wood working project then drop by for a look.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on furniture wood working plan I somehow ended up on your page. As your this post is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about furniture wood working plan, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.