Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday


Well, last week I promised 2 surprises this week. One I actually let out of the bag last Friday (new release: The Story of Our Lady of Victory) and since weeks end is here, I figure I better get the other one out of the way-although I am still undecided on how to approach this...

Got these bumper stickers in late last week. (Certainly a frivolous buy, especially with the pure speculation of it all-but...):


I haven't decided yet how to distribute them, but if you are interested, email me. I don't have many, but I may get more if they go over well. At first I was going to put a PayPal donate button up there for the bumper stickers, but then people might take it too seriously. This is the first generation bumper sticker. The 2nd generation is in the works, with bigger lettering and smaller border.

I am going to lay out my platform over the coming weeks. (I know: promises, promises.)

Just to explain the symbolism of the choice in motif and colors: The border is reminiscent of Celtic weave. This symbolizes not only my Irish heritage but the fact that my family (as most us) were immigrants to this country. It also brings to mind simple crafts done by "small" people. In the spirit of "small is beautiful", I am for small government, more local control, so each small person really has a voice-in other words a return to self-government.

The green background symbolizes the land. This is a recognition that we need to become a more agrarian society (big farming with its antibiotics and factory farming must go) with local farms and local economies (again recognizing the individual).

The white lettering for my name is a promise of purity from the temptations of special interests, bribes, other nefarious political practices.

The black-lettering for "president" is a recognition that to become president and to be president will involve lots of muck and dirt-but I am used to working in muck and dirt anyhow.

So, my kids and their friends want to know if I am serious? I wish I was; the idea of a 4 year vacation traveling the country in an RV campaigning (because I would start now) is romantically attractive to me. The kids would get an education and there would be lots of fun. But I am too shy to get up on the stump, and our chickens and dogs wouldn't last long without much attention. (Besides that money-making machine of a business I run wouldn't survive 4 years of neglect.

Never-the-less, I will lay out my platform and beliefs over the next weeks covering life, economy, foreign policy, immigration, the military, health care, etc. etc. I myself am interested to see what I'll say.

Oh yes, finally: about the '012 notation. I think "Curley in O-12" is much more catching than "Curley in 12". Don't you?

Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: