Monday, December 10, 2007

Movie Night



Last evening Mrs. Curley and I sat down to watch a musical comedy: "If I Had My Way" starring Bing Crosby and child-star Gloria Jean. It was enjoyable; a nice movie, but not a top ten selection by any means. For me, one of the highlights was Bing singing the title song. He is young in the movie and has his full range available. It is a ballad seemingly made for him. (Although mostly I had heard it sung by the Mills Brothers in the past.)

But it wasn't Bing's singing that almost brought tears to my eyes. It was Gloria Jean singing "My Little Grey Home in the West." It caught me off guard; I hadn't heard the song for many years, but I associate it with a happy dream-that I now realize I am living.

The picture above is from the movie as she begins to sing. And the lyrics are below.


LITTLE GREY HOME IN THE WEST


When the golden sun sinks in the hills
And the toil of a long day is o'er
Though the road may be long, in the lilt of a song
I forget I was weary before
Far ahead, where the blue shadows fall
I shall come to contentment and rest
And the toils of the day will be all charmed away
In my little grey home of the west


There are hands that will welcome me in
There are lips I am burning to kiss
There are two eyes that shine just because they are mine
And a thousand things other men miss
It's a corner of heaven itself
Though it's only a tumble-down nest
But with love brooding there, why no place can compare
With my little grey home in the west



Oremus pro invicem!

No comments: